Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mobile Learning

I was looking at teen data for what activities they participate in when they are online.  I was shocked by the fact that only 13% use twitter online but then I looked at the date of the survey which was July 2011.  I wonder how much that data has changed since then.  Then, another survey from Pew Internet showed that 77% of teens (12-18) own a cell phone, but what I wish I knew was how many of those phones have internet access.  I currently have my students use their phones in class for responding to the calculator function and checking their grades.  I also have them listen to music while they work.  I have noticed that when they are listening to music they seem to stay on task longer.  I haven't thought about having them research articles or ideas by using their phones in class.  To me that idea is something that is done in the library or computer lab but the truth is we have a wealth of knowledge within reach of our fingertips.  This has me thinking about ways I can have students research a topic in small groups and then come back together to discuss their findings. This could also be done as a jigsaw.

1 comment:

  1. I was very intrigued to find that upon a search of a decent amount of time, I could not find current data. Especially now that smart phones are so much more prevalent, the idea of teens utilizing Twitter seems like it has to have been impacted by this shift. It must be significant, because they have a whole help section for parents, teens, and teachers: https://support.twitter.com/groups/33-report-abuse-or-policy-violations/topics/166-safety-center/articles/20169990-tips-for-teens

    ReplyDelete