Sunday, February 3, 2013

Web-Conferencing


Our group decided to use Google hangout for our web-conferencing for several reasons. First, we all have Gmail accounts which made it easier for everyone to join the hangout. Second, the hangout allows for us to record the session without the need of any other programs. Then, the extensions allow for us to work on a Google document while discussing the changes in real time. Also, the effects extension is something fun to use and helps to keep the conversation light. 
The beginning of our Google Doc
However, an issue that I ran into was that I had to update the plug-in to run the hangout air which caused me to have to restart my computer. There isn't much that I would change for next time except to make sure that all of the plugins are up to date prior to the hangout. The only other issue that we ran into was some echoing by Sophia and myself so we had to mute ourselves while others were talking.  For me, I just had to remember to un-mute myself or use the chat feature.
Elizabeth discussing different apps
I think that Google hangout could be a good integration into the math and science classroom. We could chat with engineers and scientists and they could share information with the students not only with the webcam but also with the screenshare extension. I think that it would make it easier for the presenter to share their information rather than coming to the school. I know that my schedule of classes is not the most conducive to their work schedule but the flexibility of using a web chat can help meet both of our needs.










1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Google Hangouts worked well for your group. This could definitely be a good tool to bring in guest speakers. Would you use Google Hangouts over Skype?

    ReplyDelete